Shaleen Title is an Indian-American drug policy activist and attorney who currently serves as one of five commissioners on the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission, the agency tasked with regulating legal and medical marijuana in the commonwealth. Described as “the people’s weed watchdog” in Boston Magazine’s 2019 Power List, she has won several awards for her advocacy work and her efforts to make the cannabis industry more fair and inclusive.
Previously, she co-founded THC Staffing, a cannabis recruiting firm focused on equality and inclusion. As an attorney specializing in marijuana regulations, she has provided regulatory expertise for leading marijuana consulting firms including 4Front Advisors and Vicente Sederberg. She co-authored the Massachusetts marijuana legalization referendum and has consulted on state and local cannabis policy around the country, including serving as a senior staffer for the historic Colorado Amendment 64 campaign.
In her role as a founding board member of the Minority Cannabis Business Association, Shaleen led the creation of the MCBA Model Bill, the first state-level model bill created to give states guidance to implement a process of reinvestment and reconciliation. She also served as a trustee for Students for Sensible Drug Policy, a founding board member of Marijuana Majority, and a board member of the Family Law and Cannabis Alliance as well as the National Lawyers Guild.
Shaleen holds a business degree, law degree, and graduate degree in accounting from the University of Illinois and was previously a part of the multistate tax group at Deloitte Tax. She lives in the Boston area.
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2019: Worcester Business Journal 2019 Power 50
- 2019: Boston Magazine Power List 2019: The Powers That Will Be
- 2018: Boston Business Journal 50 Most Powerful
- 2019: New England Cannabis Convention Champion in Diversity and Inclusion
- 2019: American Public Health Association Annual Meeting Presenter
- 2019: 100 People You Should Know, Hemp Connoisseur Magazine
- 2019: 20 Women Set to Dominate the International Cannabis Space, Benzinga
- 2019: The Young Jurks Best Cannabis Guest
- 2019: Exhale Lifestyle Magazine Women to Watch
- 2019: North American Cannabis Summit Keynote Speaker
- 2017: Students for Sensible Drug Policy Award for Lifetime Achievement in Drug Policy
- 2017: Roxbury Epicenter Community Woman Crush Wednesday
- 2017: United Nations Power of Collaboration Global Summit Panelist
- 2016: Students for Sensible Drug Policy Outstanding Alumnus in Service to Drug Policy Reform award
- 2012: High Times Freedom Fighter award
- 2012: Hunter S. Thompson Young Attorney Award
- 2005-2008: University of Illinois College of Law Scholarship Recipient
- 2005: University of Illinois College of Business Scholarship Recipient